Sunday, October 17, 2010

Priceless


So a few months back, I've heard that one of my favorite authors, Nicole Richie, is releasing a new novel! I was obviously overjoyed, and just last week, I received a copy of Ms.Richie's 'Priceless'. To be honest, I couldn't put it down! I finished it over the weekend, I expected it'll linger a while longer with me, and Richie has done it again. Her second novel after 'The Truth About Diamonds', in 'Priceless' Nicole tells a story of 20 year old Charlotte who has gone from riches to rags after her father was caught by the SEC for a recent financial fraud. It is quiet a trip to go on as we watch Charlotte step out of her Upper East side scene and move on to New Orleans to lead a completely normal life. Her journey teaches us to appreciate the simple things in life, and to know the value of each and every gift we have been granted. Charlotte has taught me that you don't need a 1973 vintage Galliano dress to be glamorous, a confident smile would do the trick. It's incredible to see how a person, though he/she may be fictional, can go on an adventure to find out who they really are and to discover what there is within. The thing I loved about the novel, is that you are forced to put yourself in the main character's shoes, and to experience whatever Charlotte is going through. I was amazed by how this novel captivated my emotions, as the sadness of Charlotte brought me grief and her jubilation made me smile. A gem of a lesson I learned from Charlotte's story, is that a twist on the road of life might turn your life around and seem like it's a bad thing at first, but with a little patience, you'd learn that it was the best thing that could ever happen to you. The glamour of New York's Elite combined with the pure essence of the Jazz-filled New Orleans gives you a a wild mixture of joy, sadness, jubilation, and so much more. All the right components of a great book and an even greater adventure; it's priceless.

2 comments: